Why should you choose GCD’s Head Start/Early Head Start Program to prepare your child for next level or school entry?
- GCD provides a safe, nurturing environment for growth of your child.
- We provide a high-quality comprehensive developmental education program.
- We help your child develop socially, intellectually, physically, and emotionally.
- We provide an individualized and developmentally appropriate approach to learning.
- Our goal is to meet the quality guidelines described by Head Start Performance Standards, the North Carolina Child Day Care Licensing Law and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accreditation criteria.
- GCD operates twelve five star centers in Greensboro and High Point. All are accredited by the NAEYC.
All HS & EHS classrooms use the integrated curriculum from Teaching Strategies called Creative Curriculum for early childhood learning. Children learn through instruction, modeling, play, active participation in group activities and peer interaction. This curriculum also uses the NC Foundation for Early Learning and Development as framework of assistance. We also provide the following:
- Language development, phonemic awareness, appreciation of print and literacy, early writing and alphabet knowledge
- Educational experience provide through cultural field trips (Symphony, Artquest)
- Technology enhances learning and varied software programs stimulating core learning activities
Teaching Strategies Gold, our web-based assessment program, measures child progress and provides staff and families with outcome data in the following ten objectives:
- Social & Emotional
- Science and Technology
- Social Studies
- The Arts
- English Language Acquisition
All Guilford Child Development Head Start/Early Head Start centers strive to create positive, safe, and appropriate learning environments so that your child will grow with confidence.
A Typical Day for Your Child at GCD’s HS/EHS
The daily program schedule differs between Head Start and Early Head Start but you can generally expect the following:
- Your child will engage in free-choice activities, breakfast, lunch, and group activities designed especially for their age level.
- The two meals will be served in a family-style manner.
- Quiet time after lunch will help your child transition into a quieter afternoon.
- Time for listening to stories and sharing experiences concludes the day.
- Singing songs
- Poem being read to them
- Sharing news
- Computer (all centers have Internet access)
- Finger plays
- Movement activities
- Playground activities
- Nature discoveries
Children will experience and grow in the following areas:
- Instructional/Development Skills
- Self Esteem
- Respect for the physical environment
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to express and represent thoughts, feelings and experiences
- Capacity to use natural curiosity
- Form relationships with peers, teachers and support staff