Application Procedures for Head Start/Early Head Start
Guilford Child Development’s Head Start/Early Head Start program is a FREE comprehensive child development program for low-income families. The income limit is based on family size and household annual income in accordance with federal poverty guidelines.
- Early Head Start: 8 weeks – 3 years of age (on or after September 1st)
- Head Start: Priority given to children 4 years of age on or before August 31st. There are a limited number of slots available for children who will be 3 years of age on or before August 31st.
Children With Special Needs
- GCD's Head Start/Early Head Start program is set up to meet the needs of all children of qualifying families.
- We recognize your child as an individual who has unique strengths, limitations, and needs.
- A percentage of our slots are reserved for children with special needs.
The first step in the enrollment process is to complete our Head Start/Early Head Start application. Please choose one of the following options:
- Complete our easy online registration contact form.
- Call (336) 369-5097 to speak with one of our Child Care Parent Counselors (M-F 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.).
Appointment Information Needed
- Verification of total family income for the past 12 months
- Verification of child’s Birth (birth certificate)
- Child’s Current Physical Exam (with current immunizations)
- Dental Exam
- Copies of social security cards for the child, parent/guardian and all household members, if applicable
- Medicaid card, if applicable
Once you have spoken to a Child Care Parent Counselor and submitted all required appointment information, we will contact you the moment your child is accepted into the program.
Once you’ve been accepted, you may choose whether or not to accept placement of your child into the program.
Please note: The same application is used for Head Start and Early Head Start. However, these are separately funded programs. You must reapply when your child moves up from Early Head Start to Head Start.