Parenting Tips (Pre-school age) -
The best toys are those that require imagination and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are ten toys that are good for keeping your child's attention.
1. Blocks - One of the simplest types of toys around, yet their possibilities are limited only by the child's imagination. Great for learning activities such as counting games and experimenting with basic addition and subtraction.
2. Dolls and Stuffed Animals - Children love to pretend that their dolls, action figures and stuffed animals are real people or animals. They may even play with two or more at a time, making different voices for each one.
3. Play-Doh - Allows children to make just about anything they can imagine. The factories and tool sets you can buy to go with it are nice but they are not a necessity.
4. Wagons - Kids can use it to transport their toys from one place to another. It can serve as a vehicle for their stuffed animals or dolls, a pull-along "tray" when they're playing restaurant or even as transportation for the child himself with you pulling it.
5. Art Supplies - Budding Picassos can spend hours making new masterpieces. Art is a great way to keep kids occupied because it fosters creativity and self-esteem. And you get the added bonus of new refrigerator decorations.
6. Musical Instruments - Most children love music. The only thing better than listening to it is making it themselves. If real musical instruments are not an option, click here for musical instruments you can make at home.
7. Housekeeping or Gardening Tools - Kids love to imitate adults. A kitchen set, toy vacuum cleaner or a set of toy gardening tools can help them do so more accurately. You could enlist them to help you when you're doing housework or yard work. They will stay occupied and feel a sense of accomplishment.
8. Sandboxes - Kids can learn a lot by playing in sand. They can use sticks to make designs, add water and make sandcastles, or make trails with their toy cars.
9. Dress-Up Clothes - Playing dress-up lets kids put together outfits and pretend to be anyone or anything. You don't have to buy a dress-up set. Just get out all of the old clothes you can find and let their imaginations run free!
10. Balls - Balls not only keep a child busy, they also encourage physical activity. There are numerous ways that children can play with them, so they never get boring.